Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

Wk4 Reading: Art of Possibility


          “Being the Board” is something I’ve learned this year with a full time job, Graduate school, three young children, and a husband. Making the choice to go back to school was difficult, but I committed myself and here I am. If I decided not to go through with this Graduate program, I am certain that I would have blamed my husband for not being able to help out, or the ages of my children and their needs.  I don’t think it was a conscious decision to “be the board,” I needed it to be that way and it has actually benefited my family and me.  Through this crazy year, I have learned to give everyone in my family an A for helping and understanding. They have all kept that grade up. My husband has especially earned the A. I feel like this year we have all become game pieces who worked strategically to get through homework, tests, games, holidays, and special occasions. Now, I can happily say that the end is almost here, my kids are happy and well, and I think food shopping is going to be my husband’s new permanent job. More importantly, my kids have seen the value my husband and I place on education rather than just hear about it. We were all students this year and we have all learned so much.
         My favorite part of Chapter 11 was reading the words of Marianne Williamson. After reading those words over and over, I typed and printed them. I will frame them and hang them in my children’s room. As I read her words, and thought about how I wanted to share them with my children, I also thought how I often want to pass along messages as great as this one. My new goal is to hear them and live them myself first, then pass them along.

1 comment:

  1. Monica, what great thoughts. You are such an amazing woman. I have admired you through this whole program. I had a hard enough time balancing a full time job, this program, a husband and a spoiled dog. I can't imagine having to throw 3 active children into the mix. I am so proud of you and how well you have done. Being "a board" is not always easy but sometimes necessary. I have learned doing things for your self is ok, in most cases it benefits more people than just your self. I wish you all the best and hope we stay in touch for years to come.

    ReplyDelete