Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

W3-Reading


Chapter 5. Leading from Any Chair:
I can specifically remember what it felt like to have a leader (principal) who believed in his staff’s enough to let us lead. I remember being more excited about going to work each day and willing to take risks. There were times when he would present us with ideas that were new and although we were a little scared to take on the challenge, we did it because he assured us that he believed we could. Even when he spoke of the staff or introduced us at Back to School Night, he would say things that made us feel valued. I imagine that the way he spoke about us to the parents also made them see the best in us and gave them a sense of comfort to know that their children were in the best hands.
Chapter 6. Rule Number 6:
Joining the river rather than resisting it is something I have learned to do. Living a very regimented life then having children taught me this very quickly. When I look back at what I thought parenting would be like I think I made my plans with my calculating self. That was how I would measure my successful parenting. Reality is that when you have children, your actions come from a place of love, the central self. You almost don’t have a choice. It might not be perfect, but it is so much more joyful and honest this way. I will have to let you know how it works our in about 18 years.
Chapter 7. The Way Things Are:
I can completely understand the block in communication and the attention to the wrong thing in the relationship between the father and his son. It seems so obvious when you are discussing relationships, but the difficulty comes when there are situations in your life that you wish to change. Trying not to focus on the way things are is so difficult when each day reminders appear. I consider my self a very optimistic and lucky person, but I also feel that I have to work to be that person. I consciously focus on the bright side and always move forward. I’m not sure if that counts.
Chapter 8. Giving Way to Passion:
I cannot begin to express how BTFI is exactly what I needed to hear today. I absolutely love that expression and I think it’s my new motto. As I approach some new goals I have in mind, I will be in the BTFI frame of mind. I will have to let you know how it goes. 

3 comments:

  1. Monica-

    Great to read your posts. I would agree with your comments on Ch5. Our Principals are exactly like that as well. They believe and encourage us so much. Even when there is change or redirection of what they would like to see, it still feels very encouraging. Glad to hear there are some others out there that are appreciated for what they do.
    In regards to Ch 6., my best friends' wife and I always have our "talks" on parenting. I feel like you felt in the calculating self of thinking, "this is how I will raise my children." and she always informs me that isn't always the case. I tend to always remind her that in raising kids, it's like playing a piano. First, you must learn to play by the rules; then, you must learn to play from the heart.
    Ch7, I agree. Staying positive truly does help. My faith does the most part of that for me. As a Christian, I used to struggle with it a long time ago, but now, I stay positive and believe that He has the plan and I will be fine, things will be fine, no worries.
    I too enjoyed Ch. 8. BTFI sounds like a good mantra to practice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica,
    I wish all administrators made teachers feel the way you described. It is amazing how people will rise up to an occasion when they are treated like professionals.

    Rule number 6 was also a hard one for me to grasp. I too like to be in control, set goals and achieve them. Success is defined from achieving the goal. Rule number six made me realize I need to reevaluate what success is.

    I like your new motto. We should all use BTFI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your interpretations of the different chapters. For chapter 5, I can truly relate in the differences of having a leader that believes in you, and one that doesn't. Having a good leader gives you such a refreshing feeling when you go to work, versus having an enemy for a boss. I feel that there is no true in-between either, you have a good leader or a bad one. Of course it is a challenge when you are in that chair, because we usually emulate what we had the most, and if we had a lot of bad bosses, then you can figure out what happens. But I strive every day to understand my role and to help those around me, and to wish for a better boss... :)

    ReplyDelete