Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week1- Copyright Issues



Copyright and copyright infringement laws are much more clear to me now. I was certainly one of the believers of the many myths. After viewing the videos and articles, I have a very different perspective. I cannot believe the specifics in music copyright infringement in our country. I had to listen so closely to some of the music to even hear the copied beats. I can’t imagine being an artist were my main concern is creating, then being concerned with other people manipulating my work. I would imagine that would hinder my goal of being creative. As far as the people copying or as they called it interpreting, it gets a little hairy. I realize that copyright law is about permission, not about usage, but we don’t always get permission with written work we interpret, we just give credit. It would seem that giving credit would apply to other creations as well. I was in agreement with the Creative Commons creator, that as a culture we have the opportunity to use the works of others to express ourselves and our views, but always giving the credit to the original creator.

I have only recently become aware of the copyright laws as a student at Full Sail. I found myself time and time again trying to express an idea with videos for projects and stopping because I needed to be sure about what was allowed or legal. I would have to say that my own creative process was hindered. My intentions were never to present the information as my own, but rather to use it to make a point. With so many different mediums to access information and use it, it is difficult to keep track of what is legal and illegal. Our countries lawyers are very busy. 

1 comment:

  1. great summary and observations about copyright issues. It is so important that we are properly informed and then can act as good role models for those around us. And the places where the law needs help, we can work to make improvements there too.

    ReplyDelete